Fish Attractant

waynel

Fish Attractant

Postby waynel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Instead of catching shad or bream for cat fish bait has anyone you compared Smelly Jelly to Berkley shad flavored Gulp attractant for luring larger catfish, with weighted swim baits?

Charlie Taylor

Re: Fish Attractant

Postby Charlie Taylor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 am

While I have not compared the two, I have exclusively used weighted swim baits infused with Berkley Shad flavored Gulp attractant for large blue catfish for the past 5-6 years and have been very successful with them. After getting our limits of bass on the Potomac River in tournaments, we frequently head for one of our favorite catfish holes and deliberately fish for the big blues with swim baits mounted on Owner Flashy Swimmer hooks. We spray them with the attractant and cast them to the hole, allowing them to sink to the bottom. Once there, we begin a slow, steady retrieve. The big fish will frequently bump the bait as we retrieve it. We continue to bring in the bait and the fish will slam it. My partner and I have frequently had two fish of 25+ pounds on at the same time.
We have never tried any other baits as this method always produces the big fish without hassle.

Charlie.....

waynel

Postby waynel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply.

What weight jig heads do you use 1, 2, 3 oz? Do you think a Caroline rig would also work with enough weight to keep the swim shad on the bottom?

Charlie Taylor

Postby Charlie Taylor » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:24 am

I use the Owner Flashy Swimmer with either the 3/0 - 3/16th oz. or the 5/0 - 1/4 oz., depending on the size of the swim bait I choose to use.
You don't need that much weight, just enough to allow it to sink to the bottom. If the tide is running hard, you might want to move up to the
larger size. As for a Carolina rig, no problem. I would use a 1/2 to 3/4 oz. sinker. You don't want the bait on the bottom but rather just above
the bottom. A slow steady retrieve will get them. I think I would be using a Zoom Swimming Fluke on a Carolina rig.

Charlie......

Return to “Northern VA”