Suggestions for VA Mid-Chesapeake?

rlee16807

Suggestions for VA Mid-Chesapeake?

Postby rlee16807 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:49 am

I'm going to be spending this weekend near Reedville, VA and although I'm willing to tough out the weather, I am woefully ignorant about fishing in the area. I will have direct access to the Little Wicomico via a private dock and kayak. The kayak may not be a viable option depending on how much rain is going on. I assume the water is brackish so there will be a mix of fresh and saltwater species. But I have no idea where to start in terms of lures/bait/rigs. I was going to just use some form of bait (cut squid, crab, cut baitfish), chuck it out and wait, but I have no idea if that will work. Any suggestions on basic approaches I should pursue?

Charlie Taylor

Re: Suggestions for VA Mid-Chesapeake?

Postby Charlie Taylor » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:03 am

Don't know how far up the Little Wicomico you will be located, but I would think that it would be more saltwater than brackish. However, with all the rain, the freshwater will probably be moving the trout, spot and croaker out, leaving white perch and occasional catfish. I would be starting with small jigs tipped with small chartreuse or yellow grubs or small spinners or spinnerbaits. These will catch white perch and catfish all day. Although soaking bait is normally a good choice, conditions are not normal. The rain and incoming freshwater has altered the conditions. I think that reaction baits are a better choice now.

Charlie Taylor

Return to “Coastal VA”